In a sense, digital audio doesn’t exist. You’d have to be a particularly dull superhero to possess ears that can decode the millions of 1’s and 0’s that make up your CD collection or iTunes library. Whatever the source – be it a laptop, CD player, smartphone, USB stick – the result is just a vibration in your speakers. In other words, it all winds up analogue in the end.
Arguably, when playing from a digital format, the most vital component is the DAC, or Digital to Analogue Converter. We’ll spare you the bulk of the science, but this is what translates that otherwise lifeless binary code into audible sound energy. Bit-depth, meanwhile, is a key measure of audio quality.
So, if you’re listening to a 24-bit WAV copy of your favourite album through a DAC that only converts to 16-bit, there’s a good chunk of detail going to waste right there. That’s why we’ve included 32-bit DACs on the entire HDA range – the most commonly used bit-depth in digital recording – so you’re guaranteed the full aural picture of whatever the artist intended.
Details & Specifications
- Plays all disc formats, including SACD, CD-A, CD-R and CD-RW
- Supports audio file formats including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, OGG, MP3, AAC and WMA
- USB input
- Superb 32-bit DAC built in
- Streaming through the music life app
- Total harmonic distortion + noise = 0.002%
- Electromagnetic compatibility.
- Analogue Audio Outputs